Serve them with a salad or as a first course at a dinner party.
I have doubled and tripled the recipe and it always turns out great.
I clipped the recipe from a magazine years ago and have tweaked it a bit over the years.
- 1 6 oz. can of crabmeat, drained and flaked, 0r 1 6 oz. pkg. fresh or frozen lump crabmeat, thawed and drained
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs, divided (regular or Panko crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion (green part only)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon. bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain crabmeat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs, carrot celery, onion, mayonnaise, dry mustard, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- Gently stir in crabmeat just until combined.
- With wet hands, gently shape mixture into four ½ inch thick patties . Or you can make them smaller if serving as an appetizer. Mixture will be a bit crumbly.
- Pace remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and gently coat both sides of each crab cake.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add crab cakes.
- Cook about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired and Tartar Sauce.
In a small bowl, stir together:
1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. chopped celery leaves,
1 tablespoon sweet or dill pickle relish,
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery salt.