If you are still able to find some Italian Plums at your local market, and you have kids that love fruit roll-ups, this is a great way to make natural and healthy snacks. If you have a food dehydrator it is really simple but I also tested it in an oven and it works well there too.
- about 35 large Italian plums
- sweetener to taste (I've used white sugar or honey)
- Wash, stem halve and remove pits from plums.
- Place the halved plums cut side down on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about an hour at 325F or until very soft.
- Once they are cool enough to handle, transfer to a food processor and process until only flecks of skin are visible. Sweeten to taste. This really depends on the sweetness of your fruit and you may choose to not use any sweetener at all.
- I recommend using Silpat mats for the next step if you are using the oven to dry the fruit base, I have tried it with parchment paper but that tends to stick so if you are going that route, make sure you spray the parchment paper with cooking spray before pouring your plum base onto the sheets.
- Dry in the oven for 6 - 8 hours as low as the oven can go. Between 170 - 200 F.
- If you have a food dehydrator, line the screen racks with plastic wrap, making sure the edge of the wrap goes over the sides just slightly.
- Pour base onto the racks and turn dehydrator to medium. Check after 5 hours.
- Dry until the center of the fruit is dry to touch.
- Allow to cool completely, remove backing, slice into strips using a clean scissor or a pizza wheel. Roll up and store in a covered container.
Makes about 30 roll-ups