This recipe is from my sister. Just how banana bread should be...dark, moist and delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, this will be about 3-4 small bananas
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- Measure first 4 dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Measure milk into small cup and add vinegar. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas and add to them the remaining ingredients.
- Stir the milk and vinegar mixture with a fork (it will have turned a bit thick) and add to the banana mixture. Beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until all the dry ingredients are mixed in well.
- Grease one loaf pan. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in 325ºF oven for 60-70 minutes. If toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean it it done.
Yield: 1 loaf
I'm not sure why this loaf bakes up with this interesting looking top when baked in a very old style bread pan. When baking it in a glass loaf pan it doesn't take on this look, but it is more smooth and may have a few little cracks on top and just nicely rounded. Good thing is they both taste the same once baked.