This cake brings back memories of sweet visits around my mom's table. I like to bake it in a bundt pan, which when inverted gives you a nice rippled edge. It can easily be baked in a regular tube pan.
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream together butter and sugar until very smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk.
- Mix until well incorporated, but do not over beat.
- Make filling mixture below.
- Grease pan well.
- Place 1/3 of batter in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the filling.
- Top with another 1/3 of batter and sprinkle with remaining filling. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake in 350º oven for 50 minutes.
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Melt butter and using a folk mix into sugar mixture.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice, or water with a few drops of vanilla
- Stir together and glaze cake once it's been turned out onto a cake plate. It's fine to drizzle it over when the cake it still warm.