½ cup butter or marg, melted
2 cups warm milk
2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp instant yeast
2 cups quick oats
8 cups flour (approx) - whole wheat or mixed
- Put liquids in large mixing bowl, or mixer with kneading hook attachment, preferred.
- Add salt - do not forget this =),several cups of flour and then the yeast, stirring well.
- Add oats and continue adding flour (switch to dough hook attachment if using machine)
- Knead until dough is holds together and is not too sticky when handled with greased or floured hands. ("ready dough" feels like a baby’s bottom)
- Allow dough to rise about 1 hour (in a large bowl), covered with a clean tea towel and plastic bag. (I keep re-using the same white garbage bag – no perfumed bags, please)
- Keep away from drafts.
- Grease hands and, using a small amount of dough at a time, pinch off buns between index finger and thumb, curling index finger in.(I prefer my left hand for this)
- Place buns on greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise 1 hr.
- Bake at 400F, about 18 - 20 min. Remove from sheet and cool on wire racks.
- Yield: 36 – 40 buns.
- This is a basic recipe guide. For example: you can use only water or only milk, and substitute with anygrains you like; you can use half white/half whole wheat flour, add some flaxseed, throw in some eggs etc. If you don’t have a large kitchen aide or such, I would suggest doing ½ or ¾ of the recipe to try. Get out the strawberry jam and Havarti!