I love the buttery taste and the crunchiness of the coarse sugar and cornmeal in this tart.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract..use whatever flavor you like with the jam you are using
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup jam
- coarse sugar for topping the tart
- Mix butter and sugar till combined. Stir in the egg and coconut extract.
- In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, except for the coarse sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture just until it comes together, don't over mix.
- Separate dough, form about 2/3 of it into a disk, wrap up and chill. Do the same with the remaining 1/3.
- Once chilled, allow to warm slightly to room temperature. Then take the 2/3 disk and press the dough into a slightly greased 9" pan, patting it evenly onto the bottom and sides.
- Spread jam over the dough. Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough using as little flour as possible and place on top of jam. I cut star shaped pieces but as you can see it kind of rises together and you can't really see the shapes.
- Sprinkle top generously with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375º for 25 minutes.
- Cool and serve..although I must add it was just as delicious served warm.