- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 cup cooked rice, white or brown
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 large cabbage, Asian or savoy work well
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 1 28oz can stewed tomatoes
Asian and savoy cabbage leaves are much softer than regular cabbage leaves, and so you can just peel them off the head piece by piece and use them. If using a regular cabbage place it in several inches of water and steam for several minutes, which will help the leaves to peel off easier. Cut away the thick part in the middle of each leaf so you have nice thin leaves to roll your meat in. Swiss chard and beet top leaves also work really well and add a little different flavor and colour.
- Prepare your cabbage leaves.
- Mix all the other ingredients together well with your hands.
- Place a large spoon of meat filling on each cabbage leave and roll up. If you choose to leave some without the cabbage, just form meat balls .
- Layer inside of crock pot.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Set your pot on low and cook 7-9 hours.
Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. Left overs freeze well. You can also bake these in the oven on 350º for 1 1/2 hours.