In the summer of 1994 we took our kids, aged 11- 16, on a missions trip to Lithuania. I think it was the best summer we had as a family! An older couple, in charge of the project were Mennonites from Lancaster, PA and I quickly grew to love and admire Marion L. who taught me how to smile and be flexible in a kitchen that was not stocked the way we were used to. This is one of the recipes she shared with me and I still like it because sometimes simple is the best!
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temp.
1/2 cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
- Beat soft butter and sugar with wooden spoon or hand mixer until well mixed.
- Add egg and milk.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in with wooden spoon.
- Spread into greased and floured 9x9 pan.
- Choose your topping and spread over top.
- Bake at 375F for 25 - 35 min. – longer if using fruit topping.
* Plain - 1/3 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon.
* Apple - arrange thinly sliced apples on top before sprinkling on ¼ - 1/3 c white or brown sugar mixed with cinnamon. Bake 40 - 45 min.
* Cinnamon/oat - combine 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over top of batter. Bake 30 min.