For all you coconut lovers, think about Coconut Cream Pie filling inside a macaroon like crust. Two simple ingredients, one delicate and delicious pie crust. The crust holds together beautifully when cut and serve. A big hit around my Sunday lunch table.
- 5 tbsp melted butter
- 1 8 ounce package sweetened fancy flaked coconut
- Pre heat oven to 350º while you assemble crust.
- Melt butter. Add all of the coconut and stir well with a fork.
- Place this mixture in a glass pie plate and using your hands press mixture into the bottom and up the sides forming a crust. Cut a piece of tin foil in a circle and then cut out the middle just so that it fits over the outer edge of the crust. This will keep the top edge from burning. Leave this foil cover on for the first 10 minutes of baking.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5-8 minutes or until toasted to a golden colour. You have to watch as it will all of a sudden begin to really brown and burn....so stay with it.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan while you make my Coconut Cream Pie filling.
- Fill cooled coconut shell with hot coconut filling. Cover with wax paper to avoid filling from getting a film on top. Place in refrigerator and allow to cool completely and set. This will take at least 2 hours to cool completely. Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut.