You've just been
told asked to bring a dessert for Thanksgiving and you are wondering what you could make that seems like a homemade dessert but really is a simple combination of several ingredients. I understand that not everyone has time to bake from scratch and so I tested this cake in our home and I can tell you that it turns out less like angel food and more like a moist pumpkin pound cake. It will not rise as high as a regular angel food cake so your pan will not fill to the top like a regular angel food cake does.
You could bake it in two layer cake pans, a 9 X 13 pan, a tube pan or a Bundt pan like the cake you see in the photo. In this recipe I have frosted the cake with a cream cheese frosting but you could whip up some heavy cream, slice the cake and add a dollop of whipped cream to each slice.
Either way... it's quite delicious and tastes like Thanksgiving!
- 1 box 450 grams or 1 lb white angel food cake mix
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 398 ml / 15 oz can or 1 2/3 cups pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice ( or 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg )
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray the pan of your choice with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large glass or metal bowl and beat on medium speed for one minute. Scrape bowl once in between to ensure all ingredients have been mixed in.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean. The cake will need between 30 - 45 minutes to bake depending on your pan. To test for doneness, a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake should come out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 cup softened cream cheese (can be spreadable)
- about 2 cups icing/powdered sugar
- finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- Beat together butter and cream cheese and then slowly beat in the powdered/icing sugar until you have a spreadable frosting that holds its shape.
- Spread evenly over cake and garnish with finely chopped crystallized ginger.
Slices into 12 servings