For this flashback I'd like to re-share a spiced pumpkin/chocolate loaf posted in 2008. I can't believe that's nine years ago! I switched up the photo on the original one as well and clarified the sizes of pans to use, so that it is easier to decide on the size of the recipe you wish to make. You can easily cut it in half to make only one loaf. This loaf is still as good as ever!
- 3/4 cup butter (soft/room temp)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cooked pureed pumpkin
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Prepare two 9 x 4 inch loaf pans by greasing with shortening or cooking spray, and dusting with flour.
- Beat butter and sugar well. Beat in eggs until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin.
- Mix dry ingredients with spices and chocolate chips. Stir into wet mixture until combined.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 F, until toothpick tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans and then remove to cooling rack.
Before baking, I sprinkled some chocolate chips in a row on top. You can combine nuts and chocolate chips if you like. Once cooled, a drizzle of about 1/4 - 1/2 cup icing sugar with maybe a teaspoon of water and a drop of maple flavoring is optional. Plain is great too.