I got a variation of this recipe for make-ahead mashed potatoes from my friend Jean some years ago...and I made it many times over the years. It's nice to have the potatoes mashed ahead of time and ready for the table piping hot at dinner time.
- 10 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup herbed cream cheese (we like herb and garlic)
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- crumbled bacon bits and chopped green onions for topping
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes...adding cream cheese, sour cream, butter, milk, chives and salt & pepper.
- Mash until creamy.
- Spoon into lightly greased casserole...and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to two days...discard plastic wrap before baking.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and green onions.
Optional topping ~ Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated cheese before baking and omit bacon bits.