For Flashback Friday I decided to bring back this recipe that a friend shared with me a long time ago. It's still one of my favorites. Once I tasted it I knew it was a keeper. It is a large recipe, perfect to bring to family gatherings or potlucks.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 can cherry pie filling (I used 1 1/2 cans..I like more filling but 1 can works fine too)
- Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well. Add flavouring.
- Stir in flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 12 by 17" pan. (approx). Put pie filling over the base and using a spoon drop the other half of the batter over the filling. This dough is fairly thick so it doesn't really spread well over the top, if you drop it by spoonfuls you get a pretty effect with the cherry pie filling peeking through.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 min. Top should be slightly golden in color.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice and enough hot water for drizzle consistency.
- Drizzle over warm platz.