For Flashback Friday I am re-introducing this Autumn Apple Cake. It is the right season when apples are available fresh from the orchards. This is a very moist cake, a recipe from my sister in law.
There are so many varieties of apples in the store and in our backyards right now. I think any kind of apple will do.
This cake smells wonderful as it is baking and your kitchen will be filled with wonderful aromas!
For dessert hubby and I enjoyed a piece of this cake with a dollop of whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. So delicious!
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts..I used pecans, walnuts would be good too
- Cream together butter, sugar. Add eggs, and vanilla and beat till well blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Fold in chopped apples and nuts.
- Pour into a 9" by 13" greased pan and sprinkle topping over cake.
- Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool, serve with whipped topping and a drizzle of caramel sauce if you like.
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Crumble this together and sprinkle over cake batter.