Have your chili and eat the bowl too. Bread bowls are a fun way to serve chili or soup.
I use Anneliese's fool proof french bread recipe, and form the dough to the outer side of oven proof Pyrex bowls. creating bread bowls.
Ingredients: yields 10-12 bread bowls
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups hot tap water
- 4 1/2-5 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- Mix together first 4 ingredients.
- Stir yeast into 2 cups of flour and add to liquid mixture.
- Continue to add enough flour until the dough holds together in the shape of a ball, and is not sticky if you handle it with floured hands.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 1/2 hour.
- While dough is rising spray the outer side of soup sized oven proof bowls (I use Pyrex) and lay upside down on baking sheets. I have a convection oven which allows me to bake 6 bowls at a time. I can fit 3 bowls on each baking sheet. The remaining dough is fine to rest.
- Press balls into a flat disc and form it to the outer side of bowls, pressing some of the dough down onto the baking sheet which will form the rim of the bread bowl once baked.
- Bake in 400º oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and peel bread bowls off Pyrex and place face up onto baking sheets. Immediately put bread bowls back in oven to brown the insides for another 6-8 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining bread.
- To serve fill bowls with chili or soup.