This Strawberry Trifle recipe was copied from my mom and I think she got it from the Los Angeles Times years ago.
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) Vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 - 12 ounce bakery angel food cake
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 6 whole fresh strawberries for garnish
- Prepare vanilla pudding mix according to package instructions.
- Cool slightly and stir in 2 tablespoons of the rum.
- Cover and chill until almost set.
- Whip 1 cup of the heavy cream until stiff and fold into chilled pudding mixture.
- In a serving bowl of 2 qt. capacity gently tear about half of the cake into bite size pieces and place in an even layer in bottom of serving bowl.
- Stir together the brandy and remaining rum and sprinkle half over the cake.
- Spoon in about half the pudding mixture over the cake.
- Spoon in half the strawberries over the pudding.
- Tear remaining cake as before, arranging in an even layer over pudding.
- Sprinkle with remaining brandy/rum mixture.
- Add the remaining sliced strawberries.
- Carefully spoon in the remaining pudding.
- Cover and chill.
Place in pastry bag with fluted tip and pipe cream onto pudding in attractive mounds.
Top with reserved whole berries.
I’ve made this for a crowd in a punch bowl doubling the recipe and making more layers.You could add raspberries, too.