Here is a springtime favorite...with a press-in-the-pan shortbread crust that makes this dessert 'easier than pie'!
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pat into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan, and bake in 350 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- 6 egg yolk
- 1 cup whipping cream or half and half
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces
- Beat egg yolks, cream, sugar, flour and salt together.
- Fold in rhubarb and pour over baked crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes (until custard is set).
- 6 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat egg whites with salt and vanilla until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually, and beat until stiff.
- Spread over custard and bake at 350° F until golden (about 10 minutes).
*This is a large recipe...can be halved and made in an 8 inch square pan.