Stir Fry is a good dish to make when you have things in your fridge like a half a pepper, a few mushrooms and the end of a zucchini .
When we buy a whole beef tenderloin to cut into steaks, I save the narrow ends for this stir fry.
This recipe can also be used for a pork stir fry.
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup low sodium soya sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak Spice
- Olive oil (see instructions for amounts)
- Sliced mushrooms
- sliced onions
- red or yellow pepper strips
- zucchini, cut into strips (discard the soft centre)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- reserved marinade
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-2 tablespoons cold orange juice
- Marinate meat for at least an hour - not more than 3 hours
- Drain meat, reserving the marinade, and saute' in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil just until meat is browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan.
- Add onions and mushrooms and peppers and stir fry until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add zucchini strips and meat.
- Add Hoisin sauce, balsamic vinegar and orange juice and as much of the marinade as needed to make the amount of sauce you prefer.
- Cover and let cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with a little more cold orange juice and stir into the sauce in the pan. Cook until sauce thickens. If needed, you can add more cornstarch and juice to thicken it to your liking.
- Serve immediately over rice or thin noodles.