I served this dessert at a recent family dinner.
It was inspired by a dessert my husband ordered at a local restaurant, that I could only enjoy with my eyes, because of course it wasn't gluten free.
So I came up with my own version and my husband declared it was better than the restaurant dessert. Yes, yes, I know ... he's my husband .. but he IS usually pretty honest! smile
It can be made ahead and refrigerated until served.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup Julie's Flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- butter - for frying
- Measure milk and water in lg. measuring cup, add the 4 eggs and whisk until blended.
- Combine dry ingredients and then whisk briskly into the liquids.
- Heat 9" skillet, then add a dab of butter. Hold skillet in your hand and spread butter to cover bottom. Pour in just enough batter to cover bottom of the pan, again holding in your hand and tilting pan to move the batter. Place on hot element and let cook until bottom is golden ... using egg turner, slip under the crepe and flip it over to cook the other side.
- Stack cooked crepes on a plate and let cool.
**Fillings - You can use any filling you wish. I used two - one a white chocolate filling and the other a dark chocolate filling ... My favorite was the white chocolate, but the rest of my family said they couldn't choose.
White Chocolate Filling
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsps cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 generous cup of white chocolate chips
- Mix together milk, sugar and cornstarch, and yolks in a saucepan and heat to boiling point.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens. (Do not overcook)
- Remove from stove and add butter, chips and vanilla stirring until melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the custard to prevent a layer forming on top.
- Chill in refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the crepes.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 6 tbsps water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Bring water to a boil, and dissolve gelatin in the water. Set aside.
- Mix sugar with cocoa powder, sift ... set aside
- Whip cream until stiff, beat in gelatin and the sugar/cocoa mixture.
- Keep in fridge until ready to assemble crepes.
- Spoon or pipe the filling down the center of a crepe. Smooth a little filling along one edge - this will act as 'glue' to keep the crepe from unrolling . Starting with the other edge roll the crepe around the filling, ending with the 'glue'-edged side.
- Arrange on serving tray and garnish with whipped cream, fresh strawberries and drizzled melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate until serving.