These little bundles make a nice appetizer or light lunch over a bed of cole slaw.
Tender pulled chicken in a spicy sweet ginger sauce wrapped in Wonton Wrappers.
|Shredded poached chicken|
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (this is enough for approximately 25)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers (Found in the fresh food isle of the grocery store. They come in a stack and are about a 3"x3" squares)
- 1/2 cup of your favourite thick bottled spicy ginger sauce, plus more for drizzling over slaw
- 1/3 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- slaw mix, chopped very fine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- avocado, sliced
- Poach chicken by placing both chicken breasts in a pot and covering with water. Add bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn down and allow to slow boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let chicken sit in water for another 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from water to a cutting board and immediately shred chicken, using two forks. ***see photo above***
- Add ginger sauce, cheese, and cilantro to the shredded chicken. This can be made ahead of time.
- When ready to bake, assemble Wonton Tacos by taking one Wanton Wrapper in the palm of your hand and laying a strip of meat filling from one point to the next. (about 2 tbsp per wrapper)
- Pull up other two points as shown in photo below and pinch together.
- Melt butter and using a pastry brush, and lightly brush the outsides of each bundle.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in 400º oven for 19 minutes.
- Finely chop slaw and red pepper.
- Place baked Wonton Tacos on top of bed of slaw that has been lightly drizzled with more ginger sauce. Garnish with avocado slices and serve immediately.
|Filled and pinched Wantons|
|Brushed with butter, ready to go into oven.|