My niece, Carolyn is known for bringing these squares to family gatherings and one is lucky to get a piece, because they go fast! An oatmeal bar with a fudge filling that is hard to resist.
- 1 can (10 oz / 300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- I cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- On medium/low heat, melt fudge ingredients, stirring as needed, until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl of mixer, cream together butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs.
- Gradually, stir in flour, baking soda and oatmeal. This will end up resembling a stiff cookie dough. For easier mixing you can use a hook attachment on the machine if you have it... but it works fine by hand too.
- Using a wet spatula or wet hands, press 2/3 of the dough into a 9x13 inch greased pan. Glass or light colored aluminum is good. Keep 1/3 for top layer.
- Spread with fudge filling.
- Randomly scoop spoon fulls of the left over dough all over the top - like islands - allowing spots of the filling to show. (I add a few Tbsp of milk to this part of the dough to have an easier consistency to work with)
- Bake at 350 F for 25 - 30 minutes. (Do not over bake - may appear a bit jiggly when you take it out of the oven) Let cool. Cut into 36 - 48 bars. Keeps well for days, refrigerated. Freezes well.