I had been told that tortillas were easy to make..and now I know that they are! Fresh flour tortillas really taste better than store-bought. These can be made in a cast iron or a non-stick frying pan. I used my trusty old cast iron frying pan and the tortillas turned out great.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup hot water
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Pour in hot water, a little at a time, mixing with a fork until dough comes together.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth.
- Cover and let rest 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball, cover balls with plastic wrap.
- With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6-7 inch circle, don't worry they don't have to be perfect circles. Cook one tortilla while you roll out the next one.
- Preheat your pan on medium heat. Do not add oil.
- Place tortilla in hot pan and cook until small bubbles appear before flipping to the other side, cook approx one minute on each side.
- Stack cooked tortillas and cover with a tea towel till all are cooked.
- Now they are ready for your favorite recipe. Can be frozen for future use.