A friend shared this easy apple dessert with me. We really liked it! How can you go wrong with an apple dish of any kind?? And if you think this is delicious the day you make it..just wait till the next day, it's even better! The tortillas become softer as they sit in the sauce. If you have any leftovers just cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate. You can have it for breakfast the next morning..with a slice of cheese instead of ice cream!
I really want to try this with rhubarb and peaches when they are in season.
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut in chunks..I used MacIntosh
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Place apple chunks in a medium saucepan, stir in lemon juice.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and cinnamon and stir into the apples.
- Over medium high heat, cook apples, stirring frequently till apples are barely tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place half a cup of cooked apples on a tortilla. Roll up, tucking in the sides and place in a greased 9" pan. Repeat with each of the tortillas. They will be a tight squeeze in the pan but that's okay.
- In a saucepan over medium heat bring to a boil the butter, brown sugar, and water, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stir in vanilla.
- Pour over tortillas and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes, or until the tortillas look golden in color.
- Serve warm with ice cream. Spoon some of that caramel sauce from the pan over the ice cream.