As I'm posting this, I wonder how many versions of Platz have already been posted and could still be added. It seems to be one of those recipes that every Mennonite family has a different recipe for. And they are all good.This one comes from our daughter-in-law's family. Where most recipes tend to use butter, this one uses cream. I look at is as possibly less fat content and just plain delicious. Thanks, Elma!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 - 3 Tbsp cream
- Mix together dry ingredients for pastry.
- With pastry blender, blend in shortening, then stir in combined egg and cream. Stir well until it holds together.
- Pat and stretch into 9X13 or 9X9 inch greased pan. Light colored pan - preferred.
- Cover with desired fruit. Sliced apricots, peaches, apples, blueberries, cherry pie filling or chopped rhubarb - are some good options.
- Combine dry ingredients for crumb mixture. Blend in butter and cream, using pastry blender or fingers until desired crumb consistency. Cover fruit.
- Bake in the top third of oven at 350 F until golden, for 40 - 45 minutes.