Shepherd's Pie . . . what can I say about it? You love it or hate it. I think it's a great family meal if you introduce the kids to it early . . . that's the trick. It's also a great potluck casserole and just plain comfort food.
- 3 large potato sized yams
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup water mixed with 2 Tbsp flour
- Cook yams in salted water until soft. Drain. Mash, adding in milk and butter.
- Cook meat until browned and crumbly.
- Stir in onion, carrots, celery and green pepper, cooking until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, seasonings, bay leaf and water. Cook 45 minutes.
- Shake up water and flour in a small jar and add to meat. Stir in peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- Spread into deep dish pie plate or 5 cup casserole dish.
- Beat egg white and fold into mashed yams.
- Spread over meat and bake 30 minutes at 350 F.
Can be made ahead, refrigerated or frozen and baked when needed.
If frozen, thaw in refrigerator for the day.