Our new Canadian Flag is ready to hang and tomorrow we will celebrate Canada's 145th Birthday, joining fellow Canadians with celebrations all across Canada.
If you are invited to celebrate and need a large cake recipe and an easy way to decorate in our red and white Canadian flag colors...
here is a cake which includes how to stretch your cake mix to fit an 11 X 14 rectangular pan.
Not only does this fill a pan properly, it gives the cake a moist crumb and homemade flavour.
- 2 - 517 gram / 18 oz. white cake mixes
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 5 egg whites (reserve yolks for custard)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Prepare an 11 X 14 X 2 inch cake pan by lining two long sides and the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325. F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a large mixer bowl and wisk together.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and beat together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean in the center.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and then turn it out onto fresh parchment paper. Gently remove the parchment paper from the bottom and slice in half horizontally to make a two layer cake. This can be a bit tricky but don't worry if the top layer cracks a bit when you lift it...it will be covered by whipped cream at the end.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Blend the dry ingredients together in a medium sized microwave safe bowl, or a medium saucepan.
- Add the milk and stir with a wisk and heat until almost boiling.
- Pour a little bit of hot milk into the egg yolks and stir to temper the yolks. Add a bit more milk until you have added a total of about a cup of milk.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the milk mixture and continue to heat until thickened and just beginning to simmer.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and stir well.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the Custard Filling onto the bottom layer of the cake which has been placed on a large tray.
- Allow to set for 15 minutes before adding the top layer.
- Put the top layer of cake on the pudding layer and chill for 30 minutes.
- Beat 3 cups of heavy whipping cream together with 1/2 cup sugar and either 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding or 3 packets of Dr. Oetkers Whip it to stabilize the cream. It is important that something be added to stabilize the cream for decorating.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top and the sides. (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Put the remaining whipped cream into a pastry bag and decorate the edge and the swirl a bit onto each piece. I find it easier to cut the pieces first and then put the swirl of cream exactly in the middle. Decorate each piece with half a fresh ripe summer strawberry.
- Chill until serving. Makes 30 pieces.