If you are having company for supper and want something special and yet simple to make, then this recipe is a great choice. You can assemble the chicken early in the day and have it all ready to bake. It's makes a wonderful presentation when plated.
Top with a mushroom cream sauce, and serve with some fresh vegetables and garlic cream cheese and chive mashed potatoes.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 large slices black forest ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 pouch regular shake and bake
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Lay chicken between two pieces of wax paper and using a meat mallot pound meat until flattened and a relatively even thickness.
- Lay pounded chicken out flat and place a slice of ham and cheese over each chicken piece.
- Roll up and secure with meat skewers or toothpicks.
- Using a fork whisk together egg and milk.
- Dip rolled meat into egg mixture and then roll in the shake and bake mixture.
- Place each coated chicken cordon blue onto a parchment lined baking pan.
- At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and place in the refridgerator until ready to bake OR, bake in 350º oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the following mushroom sauce or a hollindaise sauce.
Mushroom Cream Sauce:
Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan. Add 2 cups sliced mushrooms and saute until golden. Add 1 1/2 cups cream, 2 tbsp white wine, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook over medium heat until cream begins to thicken, approximately 10 minutes. Pour over chicken or serve on the side.