- 20 - 25 large russet potatoes
- chili made with 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 12 cups cut bite size broccoli and cauliflower, steamed
- 2 cups cheese sauce to pour over broccoli and cauliflower
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 cups Greek salad made with cucumbers, peppers tomatoes and feta
- 3 cups fresh salsa
- 3 cups cooked corn
- 3 large onions, caramelized
- 16 slices Ready Bacon, crisped in the oven and crumbled
- 1 cup butter, cubed into single servings, in dish
- 2 cups sour cream and/or plain yogurt
- 1 cup chives
- salt, pepper
As mentioned, it’s easy, but if you are making toppings from scratch, the chopping takes some time, so give yourself a few hours, earlier rather than later to:
- Set out all the serving dishes on the bar, thinking through what goes into each dish and most practical order.
- Scrub potatoes, let dry, set out on parchment paper lined cookie sheet (extra large size).
- Prepare chili and keep warm in slow cooker.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces and set in pot ready to steam.
- Prepare veggies for Greek salad, tomatoes etc. for salsa, chop chives, and grate cheese. Refrigerate all.
- Place canned corn in pot or dish, ready to heat.
- Crisp bacon, crumble and set aside
- Caramelize onions (cook in heavy pan with a bit of olive oil, stirring often until golden). Set aside.
- One and one half hours before dinner, brush potatoes with olive oil, poke with fork and place in 400 F oven.
- Lightly steam broccoli/cauliflower and prepare cheese sauce. Mix and put in small crock pot, if desired, to keep warm.
- Mix Greek salad, cook corn and re-heat onions.
- Set out all ingredients, as well as butter, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, cut a long slit into top of each potato and squeeze both ends toward center, to open the potatoes.
Learn something new about someone and don't forget to have fun!