Anytime you are willing to do this much work, it has to be something very tasty . . . and these will not disappoint. This cream cheese pastry rolls out easily. I like that you can make the pockets ahead, freeze them unbaked and pop them in the oven when needed. These have been a family favorite on Christmas Eve for many years.
250 g / 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, minced
½ lb fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp flour
¼ cup sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add flour, mixing until smooth. Cover and chill.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Stir in salt, thyme, flour and sour cream. Cook until thickened. Cool.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half very thin (1/8 ") and cut rounds with 2 1/2 - 3 inch cookie cutter.
- Drop 1 tsp filling on each circle. Brush edges with egg.
- Fold dough over filling. Press edges together with a fork and brush tops with egg.
- Prick with fork.
- Freeze unbaked. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheet at 425 F for 12 - 15 min. or until golden. Makes 3 - 3 1/2 dozen.