This recipe has been in my recipe box for years,
and I recently pulled it out to make for a family gathering.
Cherries and strawberries glaze the top of the cheesecake
like filling, that is piled high onto a baked meringue crust.
Ingredients for meringue base:
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Beat egg whites until they begin to turn frothy. Add salt and cream of tarter.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating until the whites are very stiff. (over beat rather than under beat)
- Grease a 9x13 pan and spread meringue in pan.
- Bake at 275º for 1 hour. Leave in oven over night or for at least 8-12 hours. Do not open door during baking or cooling time. I like to bake the meringue crust in the evening. Turn the oven off and in the morning it is ready for the cream cheese topping.
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Whip cream until stiff.
- In another bowl cream together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.
- Fold whipped cream and marshmallows into cream cheese mixture.
- Spread over meringue crust.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries, or frozen strawberries thickened with 1/2 tbsp corn starch.
- 1 10 oz (540 ml) can cherry pie filling
- 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Stir together and spread over cream cheese filling.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.