Ingredients for Base:
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grease a 9X13 glass pan or 10-11 inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 325F
- Beat butter and sugar, adding in the egg, then the sour cream.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt and stir into wet ingredients, shaping it into a soft ball with spatula. Wrap in saran wrap and chill half hour.
- Roll out on floured surface. Roll onto rolling pin and unroll into pan, going slightly up the sides or all the way up if using a springform pan. Prick with fork.
- 3 cups dry cottage cheese (I used Lucerne 4% dry curd)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 packet Dr. Oetkers vanilla sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut up the cottage cheese as fine as possible. This works best if pre-frozen and thawed.
- Mix fine cottage cheese with 4 egg yolks, vanilla sauce packet, whipping cream, ½ cup sugar and salt. (I have not tried it, but if you cannot get Dr Oetkers vanilla sauce, you could try a small pkg Jell-O vanilla instant pudding)
- Beat egg whites until stiff, slowly adding ½ cup sugar and continuing to beat until very stiff. Fold into cottage cheese mixture.
- Pour and spread onto first layer.
- Bake at 325 F for 1 hour. Add another 5 minutes if it still looks too light.
- Run a knife around the edge and allow to cool. This cake may fall slightly as it cools.
- Refrigerate leftover cake. Can be served with a dusting of icing sugar or with fruit topping. Traditionally we have eaten it plain.