knowing it would be a hit. My husband is not a big dessert lover,
but mom knew that this was one he would enjoy.
After the first bite we both said at the same time...
"this tastes just like being at mom's".
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted twice
- 1 1/4 cups jam
- Beat together very well, eggs, baking powder and salt until creamy yellow and thick.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Sift flour several times. Add sifted flour to egg mixture and gently fold together until all the flour is incorporated.
- Line a 13"x18" baking sheet with wax paper. Lightly rub it with softened butter and then sprinkle it sparingly with flour. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in 350º oven for 25-30 minutes. Cake will be light in colour and spring back when gently touched in the centre, or tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Immediately invert onto a clean cotton tea towel that is generously sprinkled with powered sugar. Pull off wax paper.
- Working quickly spread jam over hot sheet cake and starting at the short end, roll hot cake using the tea towel to help roll. Some of the jam may run out the ends...not to worry.
- Once you have it rolled up, keep the tea towel over it and 'tuck it in'. The steam from the hot cake helps to keep the cake moist as it cools.
- As soon as the cake has cooled remove the towel and place on a serving tray. Dust with more powdered sugar.