These chewy cheesy little pillows is a recipe originally from Paraguay. They are made from Cassava flour or Tapioca Starch, there for making them gluten free. Another variation for the recipe has a crusty hard outer crust but cheesy, soft and tender from the inside. This version however is a soft muffin, chewy on the inside that taste at its best warm from the oven, they feel like little pillows. **They are so quick and easy to make, you don't need to be following a gluten free diet to enjoy them.
- 3 cups Tapioca Starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 2 cups of strong grated cheese, like Old Cheddar*
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add oil, beaten eggs with the milk and stir in till the dry ingredients are well moistened.
- Put into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 til golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- I always bake them in mini muffin tins and they take about 15 minutes to get golden. I keep the mini muffin tins gluten free to avoid cross contamination, and my larger ones for flour.
**Just a word of caution. It is gluten free, and if you don't eat them the day that they are made, they will certainly loose that soft, chewy goodness and become a bit dry and hard. So enjoy them right out of the oven and only make as many as you need. Using mini muffin tins is the way to go. The larger ones do not taste the same.