This is a wonderful healthy side dish that would go well with lamb or any meat you choose to serve it with.
- 1 cup bulghur wheat (substitute Quinoa for Gluten Free Version)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green zucchini chopped
- 2 yellow squash chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- Place the bulghur in a large bowl.
- Pour in the boiling water or broth.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- During this sitting time saute the zucchini, squash, and diced onions with a tablespoon of Olive oil till the zucchini and squash are softened.
- Add the sauteed vegetables along with the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well.
- Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate.
It's nice served warm but is also good if it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours allowing the flavors to be enhanced.