Rhoda, my cheesecake lovin' sister gave this recipe to me.
It has just the right amount of peppermint, giving it a refreshingly cool taste.
This is a perfect make ahead dessert. Allowing it to sit for a day or two perfects the taste and texture.
- 4-250 gram packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- green food colouring, add 1 drop at a time until you get a 'minty' colour
- 1 cup liquid egg whites, found near the egg cooler in your grocery store
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups Oreo crumbs
- Place crumbs in a lightly greased 12"spring form pan. Pour melted butter over crumbs and press onto the bottom of the pan forming your base crust. Set aside.
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar.
- Add peppermint and food colouring and mix until incorporated and you have a light 'minty' coloured mixture.
- Add liquid egg whites and beat just until blended. Do not over beat.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over crumbs. Bake at 350º for 40 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Allow to cool in pan for 3 hours before removing. Stores well, covered in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve decorate with whipped cream and mint wafers. Serves 10-12.
This cheesecake can easily be halved and baked in a smaller spring form. Freezes well.