This is a wonderful winter dessert with a warm sauce.
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1-1/2 cups whole cranberries (frozen okay)
- Mix all ingredients well and pour into a lightly greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- This can be made a day ahead of serving.
Just before serving prepare the sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup cream
- Bring these ingredients to a boil.
- Cut cake into serving portions and pour enough sauce over each cake portion to cover.
- Serve immediately.
The sauce is a very important part of this recipe because the cake is tart and the sauce brings a wonderful balance between tart and sweet. Enjoy.