- Shredded lettuce
- fresh or frozen cooked Shrimp and/or prawns*
- Lemon slices (optional - for garnish)
- fresh chopped parsley
* It's nice to have the large prawns as a garnish but you can use whatever size shrimp or prawns you have access to for the body of the cocktail. I only had the larger ones in my freezer when I made this but I often use the smaller ones. How many shrimp you need depends on their size.
For the cocktail sauce:
- 1/2 cup bottled Chili Sauce (I use Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind (if desired)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A dash or two Tabasco or other hot sauce
- In a small bowl, mix all cocktail sauce ingredients.
- Set aside.
Assemble shrimp cocktails:
- Fill the bottom 1/3 of each dish with shredded lettuce.
- Add smaller prawns or shrimp so that the dish is 3/4 full
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of cocktail sauce in to the centre of the shrimp.
- Drape 3 large prawns with the tail on over the edge of each dish
- Garnish with a lemon wedge or slice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- This amount of sauce would be enough for 6 shrimp cocktails.