During the holidays I like to have some quick snacks on hand for a games or movie night. This caramel corn is made with simple ingredients and is sure to satisfy the munchies. Serve it in a big bowl or pretty cones made with waxed festive paper. Fill and place in mugs or a glass. The mug helps to keep the cones upright, and now you're also ready for your beverage.
The photo above shows my Caramel Corn and Betty's Caramel Twists....a must try! Other good cone fillers are nuts 'n' bolts, peanuts, pretzels or trail mix.
- 1 cup popcorn, making 10 popped cups
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pop corn and place into a large bowl.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat melt butter, stir add sugar, syrup and cream of tartar. Stirring constantly bring to a bowl until a soft ball just begins to form.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and then baking soda. Mixture will bubble up when the baking soda is added. Continue to stir until mixture settles down.
- Immediately pour hot mixture over popcorn and stir with a greased spatula.
- The caramel corn will cool very quickly. Once cooled, break into chunks. Store any left overs in an airtight container.