The first time I had an Italian Caprese Salad, I wanted to make it at home. At that time I was unfamiliar with the fresh mozzarella used in the original so I came up with this version.
It's quick to make and is a popular salad at our house especially with
summer's fresh lettuce, tomatoes and basil.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (use 1/4 cup fresh if you have it - chopped fine)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- green leaf lettuce
- a handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1 or 2 fresh vine ripened tomatoes (Romas are also nice)
- coarsely grated good quality mozzarella
- Chopped fresh chives or green onions
- Mix dressing ingredients together, blending well. Set aside.
- Tear washed and dried lettuce into bite sized pieces and arrange on a large platter.
- Slice tomatoes, pat dry and arrange in a circular pattern over the lettuce.
- Cut basil leaves into a chiffonade (thin slices) and sprinkle over tomatoes. (you can leave this step out if you can't get any fresh basil)
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Pour dressing over salad and serve.