If you like Puff Wheat Squares, you are going to love these.
I got the recipe from the cook book "The Best of The Best and more" from the Best of Bridge Collection.
I tripled the recipe to serve a whole bunch of young people and it made two big cookie sheets.
This is one quick and economical way of serving lots of people and still make something really tasty.
However one recipe is usually sufficient for a family and a few friends. It makes a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- 1/2 cup butter or hard margerine (I like using butter)
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 heaping tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 10 cups of puffed wheat (not found in the cereal isle at Super St*re but by the baking supplies like chocolate chips and nuts etc.)
- Combine butter, corn syrup, sugars and cocoa powder in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. (Very important)
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over puffed wheat
- Mix well and press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Wet hands work better than greased hands to handle the stickiness so just moisten them with a bit of water.
- Resist the temptation to cut just a little piece for yourself, you'll never stop...smile.