I got this recipe from my good friend, Herta K. and it’s the salad that I make most often, even if I just have lettuce, cucumber and some colored peppers. The flavor in this salad is enhanced by the fresh basil, but if you do not have it on hand, just use about 1 ½ tsp of dried basil mixed in with the dressing. For the mustard in the dressing, I like to use a Country Dijon mustard or one that has whole mustard seeds in it.
- 1 bunch romaine or loose leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 12 pitted ripe olives
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/3 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Shake dressing ingredients in a tightly covered container. Toss salad ingredients.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to coat, just before serving.