- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water, divided, OR 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Cheez Whiz (or 1/2 cups grated cheddar)
- 1 small bunch leeks, chopped
- 2 baked potatoes, coarsely grated
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cooked, crumbled bacon pieces or Real Bacon Bits
- 1 ½ chicken bouillon cubes (omit if using broth)
- Make a white sauce by melting butter and stirring in the flour with a whisk. Gradually stir in milk and 1 cup water (or broth) and keep stirring until it comes to a boil.
- Add cheese, chopped leeks, potatoes and bacon. Simmer on low for about 5 – 10 min, until leeks have changed to an olive color.
- Add bouillon flavoring dissolved in 1 cup boiled water, OR rest of broth. Also, some pepper if you like. Stir and serve. Keep warm on very low heat, if you must. Refrigerate left over soup immediately and re-heat without boiling.