I couldn't wait to try their recipe for key lime pie...since I had so enjoyed it on the cruise. It's really very simple...and even more so if you use a ready-made pie crust.
Key Lime Pie
- 1 cup (250 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 (9 inch or 23 cm) pie shell, pre-baked
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whipping cream
- lime zest
- freshly cut lime slices
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place condensed milk in mixing bowl, and beat at low speed, adding egg yolks one at a time.
- Add lime juice, and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in pre-baked pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Whip cream...sweeten to taste.
- Top pie with whipped cream and lime zest.
- Serve on chilled plates.
- Garnish with lime slices.
- Serves 10.
It is a well known fact that the Key lime is indigenous to Florida and the "key" ingredient for the state's popular Key lime pie. Forced to substitute condensed milk for fresh--which was scarce before the arrival of the railroad in 1912--cooks discovered that the chemical intervention between the condensed milk and the Key lime actually "cooked" the pie without baking it. (excerpt from cookbook)