I've been making Lydia's White Buns ever since she put her recipe in the 1992 edition of our local church cookbook. From time to time. . I make other lady's buns. . but always come back to her recipe because it works well for me. If you follow the directions carefully, I imagine you will have nice soft buns for your family as well.
Lydia's White Buns
- 2 cups milk
- 2 farm fresh eggs .. slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup sugar ( I cut it back from 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup real butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 6 cups flour. . .and more to knead to soft dough
- In a large bowl. . or in your kitchen machine. . .put the warm water, 1 tsp. sugar and yeast. . .allow to rest 10 minutes. .if it hasn't poofed by then. . start over. .either your water was too hot. . or it is old.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and shortening. Add the milk and just warm through. . .slightly. . not too hot. . the yeast will die.
- Add the beaten eggs to the large bowl where the yeast is.
- Add the warmed milk and shortening and butter.
- Add the salt and sugar.
- Add the flour one cup at a time. . .stirring well.
- Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. . adding a bit of flour to keep it from sticking. . .Knead for at least 10 minutes. . be patient. . scrape the bits off the counter with a bench scraper and keep turning the dough. . .
- Let rest 1 1/2 hours with a tea towel and a plastic bag over the bowl.
- Give it a bit of a punch down. . and again allow to rest 10 minutes while you prepare your pans. Either spray your pans or put parchment paper on our cookie sheets.
- Make the dough into buns by taking a piece the size of a grapefruit. .(your hands should be oiled). .hold the dough in your left hand and with your right hand . .squeeze a small amount between your thumb and forefinger ..the size of a very small mandarin orange. . and squeeze it off. If it isn't smooth. . take the ball. .and cup it in your right hand on the counter and roll it around really quick. .
- Allow to rise until doubled. . about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. and bake each pan until golden brown about 15 to 20 minutes depending on your oven.
Thank you Lydia P. . for these yummy buns.