I made the dough a little higher in fiber, used low fat cheese and low sodium farmer sausage.
Using turkey sausage is a better option but we didn't have any. You can use garlic sausage really anything you have on hand.
- 1 1/2 c. oats
- 3 c. whole wheat
- 3 c. unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 pkg. instant yeast
- 1/4 c. oil (can be left out)
- 4 c. of really warm water
- mix all the dry ingredients including the dry yeast
- add water and incorporate well.
- add more unbleached flour as necessary to make a soft dough
- knead about 10 min.
- let dough rest about 20 min.
- divide dough in 64 equal pieces
- farmer sausage, cut into 64 equal pieces
- cheese cut in 64 sticks
- flatten out each piece of dough and put in a little mustard, a piece of sausage and cheese.
- fold up sides and pinch the seams together, place seam side down on a parchment lined baking pan.
- some cheese tends to melt out and it makes for easier clean up.
- let rise about 1/2 hour. bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
64 sounds like a lot, but the kids have them polished up in no time!