This is super simple and has just a hint of banana marbled with chocolate, topped with vanilla ice cream, (try this was butterscotch ripple, Mmm) smothered in a luscious strawberry sauce. I freeze bananas that are too ripe to eat because hey are better to bake with than the fresh ones in my opinion. I got this recipe from a co-worker about 25 years ago. We still enjoy it.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup instant cocoa mix ( I used a 1/4 cup chocolate syrup)
- Grease a bundt pan. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating 1 minute after each addition.
- In a small bowl stir together mashed banana, sour cream and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and banana mixture alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Into 1 cup of the batter, fold in cocoa mix or syrup, stir gently.
- Add batter to cake pan and pour chocolate batter over plain batter. Swirl.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 - 70 minutes, or until cake test is done. Cool 5 minutes in the pan. Gently remove and serve with the following strawberry sauce and ice cream.
- 4 cups strawberries
- 1 cup liquid, from the frozen berries and added water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Thaw berries if frozen and drain, saving liquid. In a saucepan add water to drained liquid to equal one cup liquid.
- In a saucepan, mix liquid and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Mix cornstarch with a little water and add, cooking until mixture runs clear and thickened. Add berries and lemon juice. Cool.
- When cake and sauce are cooled, top with ice cream and sauce and voila ... dessert. Serves 12.
I made this cake for a casual dessert for our friends this last weekend. I complained that I couldn't take a good picture, soooo our friend decided that was because he wasn't in it ...Yes you are right, this picture just takes the cake