but every now and then, I need a cream pie.
Chocolate Cream Pie is so simple. .
you can use a frozen purchased crust .. . or make your own.
While it is cooling. . . .pop this chocolate cream into the microwave.
I've posted this pie crust recipe before. . but it never hurts to have it in two places. .
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound cold lard
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- enough cold water to make 8 ounces with the egg beaten a bit .. and the vinegar.
- In a large bowl .. .or your kitchen Aid Mixer . . measure the flour, the brown sugar, the salt and the baking powder. . .
- Cut in the lard which you've already cut into cubes with a sharp knife. If you have a large food processor you can do it in there. . .just pulse until it looks like oatmeal. .
- The rest of you .. .use a pastry cutter. . and cut until it looks like oatmeal .. or use the paddle of the free stand mixer and again . ..slowly mix until all the bits of lard are mostly the size of oatmeal.
- Put the egg into the measuring cup. .add the vinegar and then add enough water to make 1 cup.
- Then. . slowly pour in the egg/water/vinegar mixture. . .and stir with a fork just until all the bits are combined and moistened.
- Dump out onto a counter. . and pull together to form a ball.
- Divide into 5 pieces. . .shape them into discs .. and wrap them separately in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate them or freeze them until you need them .. .let them thaw in the refrigerator.
This should give you a nice flaky crust.
To Bake a pie shell. . .Heat your oven to 400. Roll your dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
Ease it in without stretching. . and to bake it empty. . just line with aluminum foil pressing it against the edges. . and bake it for 10 minutes. Remove the foil. . and bake until brown. Cool.
Chocolate Cream Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of whole milk. . .you can use 2% but it won't be quite as rich
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate. . .chopped fine
- In a large glass bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt.
- Slowly add the milk and the egg yolks.
- Add the chopped chocolate.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. . .stir .. .repeat until it is hot and bubbling. About 10 minutes total.
- Add the Vanilla and Butter and stir until smooth. Pour into the cooled pie shell and Chill.
Top with whipped cream. . .and chocolate shavings.