Raita actually means 'salad'.
This recipe should be tucked away to bring out with those spicy meals (Indian or not) as it really acts as a cooling agent and is good for digestion. It is good quite simply on its own.
- 1 cup plain yougurt (natural is best...don't use vanilla flavoured)
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped or grated
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 chopped hot green chili pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- squeeze of fresh lemon
You may add other fresh veggies like tomatoes, onion or radish.