This is a must have for samosa's and any meat dish. Hang on and in a few days I will teach you how to make the BEST samosas! Right from scratch!
- 1/2 lb. tamarind (make sure you use the block of tamarind, not the pods)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt (there is that salt again - maybe use No Salt)
- 1/4 tsp cumin pwd.
- 1/2 tsp chilli pwd.
- 1 tbsp vinegar (I use lemon but you might have to taste to adjust for sweetness)
- Cover tamarind with hot water and soak overnight
- Remove seeds, blend and strain into a saucepan
- Add salt, cumin and sugar and boil for ten minutes
- Add chilli powder and vinegar (lemon juice)
- Cool and store the sauce in plastic containers
- Use freezer for long term storage and refrigeration for up to 60 days
This should turn out as a semi-thin liquid. It should have a dark brown grainy texture and should balance between sweet, sour and spicy hot.